So we’ve come to the last B.E of the semester. Emi was our emcee for this week and as usual, we had our 5+1 session where each member is encouraged to give a high-five and greet 6 other people but they have to connect with the 6th person they greet. After that, we had a worship session led by David.
After worship, Emi handed the time over to Pastor Palan for our sharing session. Pastor Palan is the senior pastor of Reservoir Garden Baptist Church (RGBC) and he shared on the topic GOD CHASER.
Watch the full sermon below!
Pastor Palan started off with an introduction about biblical examples of God chasers.
- Moses & Joshua: Joshua will wait outside the tent when Moses goes in and even after Moses comes out, Joshua still stands at the entrance. Why is this? Because Joshua wants to get a glimpse or an anointing from God, even though he knows he cannot go in the tent. Joshua was waiting on God
- Back to this modern world, many of us don’t know how to wait. Now, everything needs to be fast an instant for us thanks to the how quickly technology advances. The danger of this is that we might miss things.
Characteristics of a God Chaser:
- The person’s hunger for God
- Psalm 42:1-3 : Deer was chosen as it needs water and water is crucial to prevent overheating so it cannot survive without water. ‘As the deer pants for water..’ shows the desperate need of the deer for water. The Psalmist was trying to say that no matter what happens, I’ll chase after You (God).
- Is God the first thing that comes to our mind when we wake up or is it other things?
- God is attracted to hunger
- God chaser is a glory seeker and glory carrier
- Psalm 63:2
- We can chase God any time at our own choice. It’s not all about the environment. It does not matter where we are.
- Truth does not transform. Truth sets you free. But, the truth applied transforms.
- Many of us want to go to a place that is ‘happening’ (referring to churches). It is very easy to do that but instead, we should make it happen wherever we are.
- God chaser makes sacrifices for the sake of God and His kingdom
- Philippians 3:7,12
- When we sacrifice to chase God, we become a winner, not a loser.
- God chaser serves God with his gifts, talents & everything he has
- Deuteronomy 10:12-13
- ‘He gives, He takes, yet I’ll choose to bless His name’. – Job. That is the attitude of a God chaser.
- Don’t wait. The time is NOW.
- God chaser seeks for purity
- 1 Timothy 4:12
- God chaser is a Man of the Word of God
- 1 Timothy 4:12 = ‘…example for the believers in speech’
- What we put into ourselves will be our output
- Be an example in our speech. Keep our word.
- God chaser invariably seeks after God with an undiluted passion
- Psalm 105:3
- All eternity is not sufficient to know God. If we ever feel bored with God, it means our passion is diluted.
- If we are truly a God seeker, our first priority will be God
So with all that said, how do we seek God?
- David sought God EARLY
- We seek God with OUR HEARTS
- We seek God in the Place of the WORD OF GOD
- We seek God in the PLACE OF WORSHIP
- We seek God in PRAYER
- We seek God in SERVICE
- We seek God when we live HOLY LIVES